Stripes: We love them, we hate them. Yet, when you nail them, they look soooooooo good!
So, how do you make sure your stripes are going to match? I’m going to share my method with you.
This method is NOT scientific, professional, or anything other than the way I have found success in getting my stripes to match.
Ok…Now that we have that out of the way, here is my method:
- Fold your fabric for your first piece(s) of your garment. Make sure your fabric is relaxed and not pulled. Match the stripes up .
- Lay your pattern piece out and use your own method for cutting. Personally, I trace the pattern piece with a washable crayola marker, then cut.
- fold your fabric for your next cut and lay your first piece out next to it. Match up the stripes at the top of the sleeve or armsyce and the bottom of the hem where the two pieces will meet.
- Place your next piece and cut using your preferred method.
- Pin or clip the pieces starting at the armpit and working your way out for both the bodice and the sleeve.
- Appreciate your matched stripes!
For those of you who also need a visual, I made a video explaining and demonstrating these steps in a little bit more detail.